important note: on this webpage and on all the “student life” webpages (accessible from the menus on the left), you will find drafted language for the 2020 yygs program. yygs reserves the right to edit this information at any time, particularly in leading up to the release of 2020 admissions decisions.
How do I register and submit payment on CampDoc for Early Arrival, Tablet and/or Sheets & Bath Towel?
Click on ‘Registration’ on the left side of your Campdoc website screen and begin by selecting ‘Register for a New Session’. Choose your session and then press continue.
What should I bring to the program?
Refer to the Packing Checklist.
One blanket and one pillow are provided to all participants. First aid items and laundry detergent are available in the program office of each residential college.
The Yale Bookstore and several other stores are just a short distance away and sell toiletries, stationery supplies, sundries, snacks, and other goods. If you forget something, you can purchase items locally when you arrive on campus. There are ATM machines on campus and at the Yale Bookstore.
What should I wear while I’m at YYGS?
The dress code at Yale is a fairly relaxed one, and we promote a professional but comfortable learning environment at YYGS. Be aware that summers in New Haven can be quite warm and humid with occasional rain. Participants should keep in mind that they will be interacting with Yale University faculty and staff on a daily basis.
Here is what we suggest:
• For the morning, afternoon and evening times: T-shirts or polo shirts, or blouses, and jeans, light pants, or modest shorts.
• For the final program exercise and end-of-program dinner and graduation event: One or two dressy outfits such as dresses, suits, blouse/shirt and skirt/slacks, blazer with tie, or similar.
• Please do NOT bring: Cut-offs, “short” shorts, mini-skirts, halter or strapless tops, “muscle shirts”, shirts with large graphics or type, ripped, shredded, or damaged clothing, party clothing or club wear, and/or clothing that is distracting or otherwise of poor/questionable taste.
Do I need to bring spending money?
A common concern is how much spending money a participant should bring with them to the program. Tuition covers housing and three (3) meals per day, so basic needs are covered, and additional spending money is NOT required. However, you should bring any funds you want to cover your personal expenses such as laundry, snacks, bottled water, supplies, and any local shopping (e.g., souvenirs, personal purchases).
The program is located in the heart of the Yale campus in downtown New Haven, and there are a variety of restaurants and coffee shops within the program boundary that many participants choose to visit. Snacks and bottled drinks are also sold in the Program Office between 8:00 a.m. and 10:45 p.m. ATM machines are located close to the residential colleges, and debit and credit cards are accepted at local vendors.
Am I allowed to walk wherever I want at Yale University and within New Haven?
For your security, Yale Young Global Scholars has a strict set of boundaries that you are expected to stay within. You will be able to view a map of the boundaries in the Program Handbook, which you’ll receive closer to your arrival. YYGS staff will ensure you understand the boundaries soon after you arrive.
Am I allowed to attend religious services while I’m at YYGS?
Sunday mornings at Yale Young Global Scholars are reserved for rest and free time. If within boundaries, you may attend services as long as you are in a group of three (3) or more participants. Otherwise, YYGS staff may offer to take participants to locations outside of boundaries. If you want to go somewhere outside boundaries or do not have participants to accompany you within the boundaries, then please ask a member of the Program Office for help.
Is there a gym I can use?
The Payne Whitney Gymnasium is located only three blocks from Pierson and Davenport. Yale is proud to house one of the most elaborate indoor facilities in the world. It has a magnificent 20,000 square foot Adrian C. “Ace” Israel Fitness Center, which includes the 7,000 square foot Brooks Dwyer Varsity Strength and Conditioning Room, along with an air-conditioned one-eighth mile indoor running track. Two pools are also available.
Participants in YYGS can sign up and pay to use the gym during the program.
How is housing assigned?
YYGS Housing Policy states that Yale Young Global Scholars Housing is assigned by self-identified gender (i.e., male suites and female suites, all of which also accommodate students who identify as “Other” and/or with “They/Them/Theirs” pronouns). YYGS promotes a diverse and inclusive community committed to the values of respect and dignity. The YYGS Leadership team strives to tailor the residential experience to meet the needs of all participants, and to ensure that each individual has a sense of belonging at YYGS.
Am I required to have a working U.S. cell phone? What if I do not?
All participants are required to have a U.S. cell phone number while attending the program. For students who do not have phones that will work in the U.S., please read through the following two options and make your selection on Part 1 of your registration form.
- OPTION I: Scholar Has Unlocked Cell Phone, Needs Sim Card - If your scholar has an unlocked cell phone, representatives from AT&T will be on-site at check in to sell you a sim card. AT&T is able to accept cash and credit cards. You will have the choice between a 1 or 8 gigabyte plan. Both offer unlimited talk and text. You should expect to pay $38.00 USD for the 1 gigabyte plan and $54.00 USD for the 8-gigabyte plan. Please note that not all cell phones can accommodate an AT&T sim card and that you may need to purchase a cell phone. The final cost will be $38.00 USD for the 1 gigabyte plan OR $54.00 USD for the 8-gigabyte plan. Please expect to pay this fee at check-in with cash or credit card. If using cash, please bring smaller denominations than $100 bills.
- OPTION II: Scholar Needs Cell Phone and Sim Card - If you need a cell phone, representatives from AT&T will be on-site at check in to sell you a simple smart phone with a sim card. AT&T is able to accept cash and credit cards. The cost of the cell phone is $54.00 USD. You will have the choice between a 1 or 8 gigabyte plan. Both offer unlimited talk and text. You should expect to pay an additional $38.00 USD for the 1 gigabyte plan or an additional $54.00 USD for the 8-gigabyte plan. The final cost (phone + plan) will be $92.00 USD for the 1-gigabyte plan OR $108.00 USD for the 8-gigabyte plan. Please expect to pay this fee at check-in with cash or credit card. If using cash, please bring smaller denominations than $100 bills.
What happens if I am sick or injured?
Don’t worry! We have a health team who are available to help in the Health Office. If necessary, Yale Health is located on campus and Yale New Haven Hospital is a short drive away. As long as you keep taking any medicine you normally do at home, eat right and get some sleep, you should have nothing to worry about.